What is H1B

The H-1B visa is a non-immigrant visa category in the United States, which allows U.S. employers to temporarily employ foreign workers in specialty occupations. These occupations generally require specialized knowledge and the attainment of a bachelor’s degree or higher in a specific field. Examples of such fields include information technology, engineering, mathematics, science, and finance, among others.

The H-1B visa program has an annual cap on the number of visas issued, which is currently set at 65,000 with an additional 20,000 visas reserved for individuals who have earned a master’s degree or higher from a U.S. institution. The demand for H-1B visas often exceeds the cap, and in such cases, a lottery system is used to allocate the available visas.

H-1B visas are initially granted for a period of up to three years and can be extended for another three years, for a maximum stay of six years in the U.S. In some cases, H-1B visa holders can apply for a green card (permanent residence) while working in the U.S., which may allow them to extend their stay beyond the six-year limit.

H-1B visa holders are also subject to certain regulations, such as minimum wage requirements and the need for the employer to demonstrate that they have made efforts to recruit U.S. workers before hiring a foreign national. These regulations are in place to protect both U.S. and foreign workers and maintain the integrity of the program.

How to Apply H1B?

Applying for an H-1B visa involves several steps and requires collaboration between the foreign worker and their prospective U.S. employer. Here’s an overview of the process:

  1. Find a U.S. employer: The first step is for the foreign worker to find a U.S. employer who is willing to sponsor them for an H-1B visa. The job being offered must be in a specialty occupation that requires a bachelor’s degree or higher in a specific field.
  2. Labor Condition Application (LCA): The U.S. employer must file a Labor Condition Application (Form ETA-9035) with the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL). In the LCA, the employer attests that they will pay the foreign worker the prevailing wage for the position, provide the same working conditions as for U.S. workers, and that there is no ongoing strike or lockout in the company. The DOL will review and certify the LCA.
  3. H-1B petition: Once the LCA is certified, the employer must file an H-1B visa petition (Form I-129) with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This petition includes information about the employer, the foreign worker, and the offered position, as well as supporting documents such as the certified LCA, a copy of the foreign worker’s educational credentials, and evidence of the worker’s specialized knowledge and qualifications.
  4. H-1B lottery: If the number of H-1B petitions exceeds the annual cap, USCIS will conduct a lottery to select the petitions that will be processed. If the foreign worker’s petition is selected, USCIS will review it and either approve or deny it.
  5. Applying for the visa: If the H-1B petition is approved, the foreign worker must apply for an H-1B visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate in their home country. They will need to complete the online visa application form (DS-160), pay the visa application fee, and schedule an interview. During the interview, a consular officer will review the worker’s documents and ask questions to determine their eligibility for the H-1B visa.
  6. Visa approval and entry to the U.S.: If the visa is granted, the foreign worker can travel to the U.S. and start working for the sponsoring employer. The H-1B visa holder can usually enter the U.S. up to 10 days before the approved petition’s start date.

Note that the H-1B application process can be complex and time-consuming, so it’s important to plan ahead and work closely with the sponsoring employer to ensure a smooth application process. Additionally, consulting with an immigration attorney can be helpful in navigating the process and addressing any complications that may arise.

Scroll to Top